Sunday, September 20, 2009

Faith in Every Footstep

My husband teaches Sunday School for the 17 year-olds and they have been asking when I'm going to make them a cake. If everyone attends there are 14 kids in his class. This week the lesson was "Faith in every footstep". I got this great idea to make Sunday shoes on top of a shoe box. You know, symbolizing church attendance as an important part of our faith. I found this example I wanted to mimic.

Plan A


No, I did not make this cake. I found it online. Amazing right? Well, I thought so too. I am still determined to make a cake like this one day. Of course I would do men's dress shoes for the guys but women's shoes are just prettier. I tried shaping shoes out of fondant and here's what I got.


Not amazing. The fondant kept sagging and cracking when it dried, plus 5 of the shoes never even made it this far, the heels broke off. I was going to embellish these with Silver airbrush paint, bows, ribbons, dots etc. but it just wasn't working for me.

On to Plan B

Well, I can't make shoes, but I have a foot shaped cookie cutter. I 'll make some sugar cookies and decorate the squares of cake and put the footprint on top of the cake and write "Faith" in the footprint. Faith in every footstep right? Here's what my footprints looked like.


Was this a baby shower attended by the Swamp Thing? Aaaaah those poor little babies must have been so terrified. I just wasn't happy with these feet either.

On to Plan C

I'm frustrated, I don't know what I'm going to do I need a break. I watched BYU lose the football game to Florida State. Now I'm even more frustrated. Then I chatted with the family for a bit. Ah, I feel better.

What am I doing?!? I need these treats for church tomorrow. Jonathan has worked them into his lesson and is counting on them. How is it already 10:00 p.m.?

Well, the lesson about "Faith in every footstep" is about the pioneers who crossed the plains. Many had not much more than their faith to go on. Some had wagons, some pulled handcarts and many just walked. I thought about this and decided I would try to make handcarts. Here we have the final product.


For some must push and some must pull as we go marching up the hill.... Oh, was I humming again. I hum a lot when I decorate cakes and this cake just made me think of so many pioneer songs. I took the square of cake that was going to be the shoe box and 2 piping bags and shaped the main part of the handcart. Thanks to Kathleen I got this amazing sugar cookie recipe that doesn't have to be chilled. It makes perfect dough that is easy to work with and tastes amazing. 32 minutes later I have wheels. Jonathan cut the Kebab skewers for the handles and I raided the pantry for things I could fill the handcarts with. Let's see, tootsie rolls, granola bars, fruit snacks, Laffy Taffy, yep that will work.

Did I mention there are 14 kids and 2 teachers? That's 16 of these babies.


I got to bed by 1 a.m. and the Sunday School class got a nice sugar buzz at church. Can't ask for more than that.... Well, maybe a glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. Deborah, You are amazing! I would have given up at 10 p.m. with the sugar cookies. Cute idea. Teenagers will never appreciate all the time and creativity.

    ReplyDelete