Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mary and Jared's wedding cake

Well, I finally did it. My first wedding cake and it was a big one. This cake is 4 tiers totaling 21 inches high and weighs 41 pounds all together. And that's before the flowers were added. The bottom layer weighed 21 pounds just by itself. In this cake you see 4 dozen eggs, 13 cake mixes, 12 pounds of powdered sugar, 5 carrots, 4 pounds of marshmallows (in the fondant) 2 pints of raspberries, a bag of chocolate chips and one lemon.



Each layer is covered in marshmallow fondant and has it's own flavor.
Layer 1. (top) Lemon cake with a lemon curd filling.
Layer 2. Carrot cake with cream cheese filling
Layer 3. Chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache filling
Layer 4. White cake with pastry cream and fresh raspberries.


Here's a view from the side.

It was a lot of work, but I learned a lot from it. (mostly it is quite difficult to get fondant on a 16 inch cake that is 5 inches high) The wedding colors were yellow, orange and blue. Doreen helped pick out the flowers and by that I mean she did everything. I couldn't have done it without her. Mary and Jared, thank you for letting me do this for you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    You are just amazing!!!!

    What a fantastic blog... I've been clicking through blogs for 20 minutes and this is the first actually interesting one!!!

    Brilliant cakes!

    Thanks for sharing. v. inspiring.

    xox
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! So amazing that random strangers have found your blog and think it is wonderful!! Stay tuned. I am doing a wedding cake on September 19th. The good news for me is that she is ordering it from a bakery and all I have to do is dirty ice it, cover it in fondant and decorate it. All the best parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looked SOoooooOOO much better in person!! Those pictures don't do it enough justice. That cake was AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete