Friday, May 11, 2012

Sage Creek Elementary School Cake

The principal at Sage Creek Elementary School is retiring at the end of this year.  I was asked to make a cake in her honor and have it feed 800 people.  Here's the cake:


 This cake was really big.  The base of the cake measured 33" by 50".


Here is my dutiful assistant Cindy who made some of my favorite parts of this cake.  There is no way I could have pulled this off without her and Karen.
 The mascot is a dragon.
 This is the janitor getting balls off the roof.
The playground.
Every Easter the kindergarten class does an egg drop.  They package raw eggs so they don't break, then the principal drops them off the roof.



The vice principal as the crossing guard.

The school logo: Fired up to Learn.
A few things I learned with this cake: Bigger cakes do in fact take a lot longer to bake and decorate.  I didn't get to spend the attention to detail that I usually like to. There is powdered sugar still on some of the walls and lines are not as straight as I would like.  There was so much to get done, there was no time to stop and retouch.
The second thing I learned was the large walk in refrigerator at the school is very humid inside and made all of my fondant bead up with water made the color run on the sides.  I almost had a heart attack when I opened the fridge that morning and saw all of my fondant weeping.
Still, for as large as this was, overall I was pleased with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment