Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Cake

My husband's Uncle David is turning 59 today and I had the honor of making his birthday cake. I was told he likes to read and write so what more fitting than books?


I had fun with this cake. You would think books would be easy because they are flat and have right angles. Well, I still ran into a few surprises. Like getting the fondant to stand up to look like the book covers. I left the pages buttercream because it tastes better and would look just fine if I stopped bumping it as I did the rest of the cake. The cake actually runs horizontally even though the books make it look like I stacked them vertically.

I modeled this little guy to look like Uncle David reading a book. I thought his hands came out great as did the book.

With this cake I also tried chocolate fondant for the first time. Let me tell you, it was tasty. It reminded me of eating a tootsie roll. I added 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate melted and 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder to my marshmallow fondant recipe. All the brown you see here is chocolate fondant.

1 comment: