Monday, July 27, 2009

Ethan's Birthday

Everything I know about Pokemon stops with a little yellow Pikachu. So, I did some research. I asked various children all under the age of 10. They seem to be the experts.


This cake was done with a technique called a "Frozen Frosting Transfer" or "FFT" I can't draw, but I can trace and mimic. I blew up a picture of Infernape. Put him under a piece of wax paper, and traced him with frosting and filled in the colors. From there I froze the frosting on the wax paper for about 45 minutes, then flopped it on the cake and peeled off the wax paper.

A few notes worth mentioning. If you are going to cut the cake out to the shape of your FFT, remember to cut it out in a mirror image because it will be backwards when you flip the frosting onto the cake. Or, if you are like me and cut it wrong, flip the cake upside down too. Worked like a charm, perfect fit. Of course, this cake is now frosted on the bottom as well as the top and sides. Heh heh heh.

FFT's are easy, but I would practice them once before you had to do a big one. Also on this cake I would have left out the shading. I tried to make it all cool and put in all the shaded colors. All it did was require three times as many frosting colors, and in some places it looks like it has water stains or something spilled on the cake. Although, in other places, it looks right and does have a neat effect.


Just so you know, the names of the Pokemon shown here are Pikachu, Piplup, Infernape, Bulbasaur, Chimchar and Turtwig.

No comments:

Post a Comment